A History of Cricket
Cricket Ave was once known for a golf course and a cricket club, with a history of being a central gathering place for recreation and conversation. Today, Cricket Flats features ground-floor retail, creating a new gathering place for the Ardmore community to come together.
The Clubhouse that Started it All.
Cricket Avenue, originally referred to as Mud Lane, was the primary means of access to the Sheldon Farm property from Lancaster Avenue. In 1880 a portion of the Sheldon property was sold to the Merion Cricket Club. The Merion Cricket Club built a new clubhouse on Cricket Avenue in 1891 after moving from Wynnewood to Ardmore, where it lasted for only one year before being destroyed by fire. The road’s name was changed in reference to the Cricket Club’s short-lived home.